The Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri was the first serially produced helicopter. It was a single-seat open cockpit intermeshing rotor helicopter produced by the german Anton Flettner. It had a 7.7 litre displacement, seven-cylinder Siemens-Halske Sh 14 radial engine of 150-160 hp mounted in the center of the fuselage, with a transmission mounted on the front of the engine from which a drive shaft ran to an upper gearbox, which then split the power to a pair of opposite-rotation drive shafts to turn the rotors. A total of 24 units were produced and their initial role was to transfer cargo between ships and reconnaissance. However, as the war progressed, the Luftwaffe began converting the Fl 282 for battlefield use by adding a seat for an observer at the very rear of the craft, in order to be used as an artillery spotter.


I acquired the Huma’s 1/72 FL 282 recently and decided to give it a go. It was supposed to be a straightbuild but after starting it, I quickly realized that it needed heavy plastic surgery. I don’t know if the kit is really that bador I just had extremely bad luck with my box, most of the detail was not cast properly and  flash was a serious issue.

The engine was ridiculous, so I decided to make one from scratch. To make the cylinder heads I used 2 tubes with different diameter, cut into the proper size and glued top to  top, I rolled some wire around them added some more detail with copper wire and stretched sprue and they were done. It wasn’t all that hard. I’m a step closer to blindness, but I happy with the end result. Not perfect, but taken into account that I made it from basically electric wires, I call that a win!

I had some home-made PE parts around for a radio and a seat and I decided to used them as well.

 A lot of plastic grinding to make the engine fit where it is suppose to. For the interior (RLM02) I mixed some green with the Tamiya XF-14.

Glued both halves together, filling/sanding followed by filling/sanding and some more filling/sanding. The pilot seat was also very rudimentary and I made some seat-belts with PE and aluminium foil.


I replaced the upper part of the choppa with a scratch built one. The stock one was really bad. And also replaced the light for a scratch built one made from white and clear sprue left overs.

After applying the decals I noticed quite some silvering, to fixed it I painted the base colour (RLM70) over the silvering parts, which worked quite nicely.


And here is the finished model after weathering.